Without the Interstate Highway System, America would be a less prosperous, less safe and less comfortable place to live.
This study looks at the first 40 years of the System and calls it “The Best Investment A Nation Ever Made.”
Taken from the executive summary:
The Dwight D. Eisenhower System of Interstate and Defense Highways is in place and celebrating its 40th anniversary, must surely be the best investment a nation ever made.
- It has enriched the quality of life for virtually every American.
- It has saved the lives of at least 187,000 people.
- It has prevented injuries to nearly 12 million people.
- It has returned more than $6 in economic productivity for each $1 it cost.
- It has positioned the nation for improved international competitiveness.
- It has permitted the cherished freedom of personal mobility to flourish.
- It has enhanced international security.